Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Skylar, 13, at The Scripps Performing Arts Academy Pre-Professional Intensive


Skylar in Ballet Technique Class during Week 1
This summer I had an opportunity to dance my way through the SPAA summer intensive. My experience was absolutely perfect and involved training from experts from around the nation such as Michael Fothergill, Brik Middlekauf, Robyn Shifren, Jenny Gilmore, Khamla Somphanh, Audrey Bondoc and one of my great inspirations, Miah Nwosu!
        
In each class, I learned and grew from corrections that helped to build my core strength, technique, Pointe work, jazz, modern, character, choreography and ballet. I am also getting combinations down faster, and built muscle strength each week with hard work and determination.
        
The first week was 9:00-3:00 to help us get ready for the next 2 intense weeks. It was based on ballet and pointe with Michael Fothergill, Miah Nwosu, Robyn Shifren and Jenny Gilmore. Through the first week my technique as a dancer grew while paying attention to my placement, foot work, etc. When the week was done I was exhausted and sore, but that shows how much I grew in just one week.

Character Class with Artour Bajanov, Bolshoi Ballet
The second and third week was great! I was there from 9:00-5:00. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday consisted of ballet, pointe, choreography, character and Pilates. These days were definitely full with plenty to do and many opportunities for growth. Tuesday and Thursday was ballet, pointe, choreography, jazz, modern, and stretch class. This was my favorite day because it included not only ballet but also jazz and modern!

This Summer Intensive I really bonded with all of the other dancers. Before this experience I was still great friends with all of them but I think this intensive brought us all together even more! So much so that at the end of the 3 weeks we all got together had a beach day and a sleepover, what a blast!
        
Skylar during Showcase Performance
On the last day of the intensive we had an amazing performance showcasing our talent within the dances we learned in intensives.  Every seat was filled with parents, siblings, teachers, friends and even people who just wanted to see our growth. The performance was amazing and I felt like I grew so much. With the help of the amazing instructors they fulfilled my dream of becoming a stronger and better dancer.

Even though I was sore, my toenails bruised, toes blistered, and had to use Ora-gel to numb my big toes, each morning I woke up excited to take on the day filled with dance and more opportunities to become even stronger!

No comments:

Post a Comment