Friday, July 8, 2011

Stephanie, 14, at The Rock School for Dance Education

Stephanie Performing during 2010-11 Season

 Starting my second year at a summer intensive away from home, I was very anxious and nervous. The people at The Rock School for Dance Education have been very friendly and welcoming. 

From what I have experienced so far, I can truly say they provide an excellent dance education. The directors Bohan and Stephanie Spassoff always make sure that the faculty, guest teachers, and dancers support the philosophy of being the best while encouraging the students. Because of this, people from all over the world come to this summer intensive making it very large; however, after the first week, it feels like a small program.

All the teachers give individual corrections and feedback which is imperative when creating the foundation for a professional career. Speaking of a professional career, The Rock School hires guest teachers for the summer which include professional dancers such as Isaac Hernandez, soloist with San Francisco Ballet and Rock School Alum. After taking multiple technique classes with him, and a partnering class, I am truly inspired; especially since San Francisco is a world-class company and one of my favorites. 

After this week, my favorite teacher here at The Rock School will have to be Jennifer Wheat. I love how she focuses more on the artistic side of dance. I feel like I'm actually "dancing" in her class rather than just going through the movements. Also, her class feels very comforting because it's very similar to Miah Nwosu's (Artistic Director, SBT) classes home at SPAA. 

Stephanie and One of Her Suite-mates
The Rock School is also a very performance oriented school also similar to SPAA and SBT. This past Wednesday, we started rehearsing for the two performances at the end of the 5 week program. The two upper levels (5 and 6; I'm in level 5) are working on George Balanchine's Symphony in C, which truly embodies all that Mr. B and his technique are. The fast and sharp movements are very challenging, but I've been able to express myself in them. We have also started working on a jazz piece which is very fun and exciting. I like how it breaks up the intensive so it's not just ballet. With a daily schedule of two technique classes,  one pointe, variations, or partnering class, and a rehearsaI, I feel like I've improved already, just after the first week! 

The Rock School has set up very comfortable living arrangements. My suite-mates Charlotte, Madeline, Michelle, and room-mate Hattie are very fun and friendly; it already seems like I've known them for years! Just after this first week, I can say I love The Rock School and will definitely be back again for another summer intensive!

2 comments:

  1. Miah-
    Hi was recently accepted to the rock school intensive and i am super excited about attending, do you know the ages for the different levels about? I was placed but i want to get a insight about what ages dance in what level.
    Thank you for your input!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie thank you so much for reading and posting! The Rock School offers a wonderful summer intensive program, we've had several students attend with fantastic results over the years. Placement is largely by ability not age so the ages are quite varied. I would suggest you contact The Rock School registrar as I'm sure she could more thoroughly answer your questions. Congrats on your acceptance!

    ReplyDelete